I'm to reflect on time in the classroom and how I'm feeling about it. Well, like with anything, there are good times and no-so-good times, but the good definitely outweigh the bad in my classroom. Some of the positive things are the implementation of the Prize Wheel, which I've probably spoken about before. The kids respond well to it. I think I am doing an all right job of not getting too upset by disruptions nowadays, because I recognize that I just have to let some things go, and I might as well not have a bad day because of one kid or one incident. Also, something I love is when I hear a kid say, "Ohhhh, NOW I get it! It's EASY!" or "I see what I did wrong last time!" That just makes my day!
Am I getting through to my most difficult kids? Well I have come to an understanding with one of them, at least. We both recognize that he won't turn his work in if it's insisted upon that he writes in cursive, so we've come to an agreement that he writes spelling words an extra time in print instead of turning them in in cursive. That way, at least he's practicing the words (and his test scores ARE showing it!) and I can lighten up about the cursive writing. I think it's important to know how to write in cursive, but it's also important to turn work in and practice how to spell! This student is one who the principal thought I might have the most problems with, but he really hasn't been much trouble at all. I think he needed to be understood and given a little leeway instead of getting in trouble AGAIN.
There is another student, however, that I have had issues with, and I am having a hard time "liking" him because of the constant disruptions. He likes to talk, gets the class off-topic, and interrupts a lot. He's also a bit of a "know it all" and will loudly point out others' mistakes while actually crying when he gets "called" on making his own. I do not do the calling-out here, the other students get tired of him, too! I did formulate a discipline plan with our vice principal and the boy's dad, and I have had to implement it twice, and now that the boy knows I "mean business", he's not as much of a tantrum-thrower. He's still nosy (trying to look at my computer at people's grades, wanting to know why someone else is in trouble, wanting to compare papers with everyone), however, and it bothers me. I speak to him more sharply and more often than I do to anyone else, and I feel bad that his name is the first one on my lips when I go to reprimand a student! I'll keep trying, and some days I do like him, while other days I wish he were absent!
I loved reading the articles on student engagement, and I got caught up with them to the point of being on the Education World website for an hour, just getting ideas! A few of my favorites are Pasta Discipline, where a handful of macaroni serves as a reward (or punishment) for a greater reward, when the jar is all full. A spin on the Prize Wheel may just be the ticket! I like the "Shhhhh" idea, too, where a little reward is given for the students who are paying attention. I think I'll implement that one tomorrow, in fact! Another one I liked was "Three Strikes", where kids are given 3 index cards for the week and they have to give me a card when the class is disrupted. I think I'll have students design their own cards and we'll use them next week!
Anyway, every time I do "research" on classroom management ideas, I get excited to try them and it renews my hope that I CAN do this! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment