Saturday, October 19, 2013

Blog #3

Concerning the Special Ed students in my classroom (there are three with IEP's), I reviewed the students' IEP's at the beginning of the school year when I got them, and I keep in mind necessary accommodations when I am teaching a lesson. For one, it is just that she needs extra time (and a quiet place) to take tests. Others need accommodations just in math or reading, and I make sure they know to take assignments to the resource room. I have not been required to make up assignments especially for these students, because they (and their parents) want to be fully included, and it makes them uncomfortable to have a "different" paper than everyone else. If they are unable to complete this work in class, they go to a resource room for half an hour a day and there they can get special one-on-one help and I am also available to help students after school.  All of these students also go to "intervention" in areas where they struggle for 45 minutes each day where they receive instruction with several peers who do not have IEP's, but who need extra help.

As far as low performing students go, I have a few who I work with after school and during recesses so they can get one-on-one time with me and I can explain in different ways so that hopefully one of them will "click".  Sometimes it is just a matter of instructing in a different way (they are more hands-on, so manipulatives rather than it being seen "on the board" helps), and sometimes parents or grandparents need to be enlisted to give further assistance at home. Some of the struggles in school stem from chaotic family situations where there is no quiet place to study or nobody willing or able to help with homework that students don't understand (or no one at home if they need help, anyway). Attitude about the importance of school plays a part as well. Some parents can't help themselves, but will ask their student to stay an extra half an hour because they want their child to succeed.  Some parents just want  me to give their child a passing grade whether the child has earned it or not so it won't hurt their "self esteem". I give students the grade s/he earned, whether accommodations were necessary or not, period! I have not referred any students to the special education program people so far, but I have sat in on several IEP meetings and I am getting to know the director and special education teachers well!

No comments:

Post a Comment