Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Blog #9--ELL/SpED

Like I've said before, we have no ELL department in our district. We have a rather substantial Special Ed department, however.  I have 4 SpEd students in my homeroom, and work with another during my science class. I think what I have more concerns with are the behavior problems that are "undiagnosed", or who there is no special protocol for than I do with the special ed students.  I feel like modifications are handled well for me by the special ed aides and teachers, and I have to make very few accommodations for my SpEd students, even though we have full inclusion and one of my kids is considered "medically fragile" and is pretty severely disabled.  When it comes to emotional disorders, I'm kind of at a loss, and I may be less than compassionate at times.

Since I am a first year teacher, I could always use help with modifications and ideas on how to successfully fully integrate special needs children.  I want everyone to be able to meet their educational goals, and I've got that idealistic view where somehow I think I'm going to be THAT teacher, that makes my students love school and know they will succeed therein. It's naïve, I recognize that, but let me live in my little bubble a while longer! I don't like hearing so often that "this" class is the one that nobody is expecting to do well, so I'm expecting them to do great! It's been a learning experience for all of us, as I show and tell students I expect great things from them and as many of them begin to put forth more effort because I'm not "handing" them a passing grade, I'm making them EARN it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment